Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A pretty penny for a pretty girl

We are well on our way for Faith to have Augmentative Communication devices.  To begin with she will be working with something called

This little lady is around $200.00
                                                              










Go Talk +4

When I pulled info up about this one I got $279.99
 Then on up to a Go Talk+20, while we're waiting for her other device to get an "all clear" through the insurance and show up, hopefully by the beginning of next school year.  I think once we get her to using it life will be a zillion times easier for the Pre-K teacher (and us and her).  They are pretty neat little devices.

Fancy-schmancy communication device
The "doozie" of 'em all is the Vantage Lite.

Vantage Lite Communication Device:  $7495
PRC battery charger: $59
Shoulder strap (cause she's little): $25
USB cable (assist with programming): $25
Carrying case: $125
USB flash drive-256MB (for adding PCS symbols and new symbols to increase her vocabulary)
Clarity/PCS symbols (needed to provide common picture symbols): $475
Bluetooth Adapter(allows for the device to be hooked up wirelessly):$250
That's a grand total of : $8524.00

The ability for her to actually communicate with us = PRICELESS

2 comments:

  1. If that last one was $852.40 I would say it is in line. very sophisticated home computers are still under $1000. I paid less than $300 for mine and Charlie built it. But $8524.00 is ridiculous and sheer profiteering off of the needy. Since it only expands on what the others do and there is no super technology breakthrough, there is no legitimate reason for that price tag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure there's a reason behind it. Don't know what, really. BUT she is only 3 1/2 so those suckers need to be VERY durable. If it doesn't go through, I think we'll purchase an iPad for her, I've heard amazing things about them for kids like Faith.

    ReplyDelete