The school year is winding down, and now we are left at the stage of re-writing the IEP for next school year. Faith will Pre-K bound and Angelus will be in 2nd grade. Man time sure flies. The plan for Faith right now is to have her go next year to get kind of adjusted, and then do Pre-K again but the second time around to REALLY do Pre-K....ya know, after the trial run. Heh.We're looking into the SonRise program at the moment. I've heard great things and I like how it meets them where they're at. Also, I tend to just let Faith do her behaviors as long as they're not hurting anyone (including herself). I figure she has a good reason for it, I just don't always know what it is. Tommy and I try to do ALL we can for her and make sure she gets all the services and help that is out there for her, but a few months ago I started a retirement account. In it, it asks who the money goes to if something were to happen to me. Obviously Tommy and then the kids. As I was reading it, the thought struck me...what if she needs additional help (essentially a guardian) if something were to ever to happen to Tommy and me, Angelus would be it. While he seems more than enthusiastic about this (at the old age of 7)...it made me want to do even more for Faith as Angelus didn't have Faith and that's an awful lot of responsibility for someone who may want to have their own family with wife and kids one day. Crazy to be thinking of this when they're only 3 and 7, but I just want the absolute best life for them. Whatever that may be.
I guess we're going to ask for extended services for Faith from the school so she can continue Speech and Occupational Therapy throughout the Summer. Then she will need a para for school when it will start back up, but I'm not all together sure as to what will need to be done for that. The principal, Speech therapist and I have been talking a lot and we are all in agreement that is what will need to be done for her, I'm just not sure what that means on my end for me to do. The therapists think she may also have something known as "apraxia" it has something to do with "motor planting" in your brain. The OT thinks she may have more than a (little) bit of it with her Gross motor skills. I think she probably has some of it with her oral communication because I see her try to form words [sometimes] and they just won't come out.At the end of the month I'm going to go to Dallas and listen to Dr. Andrew Wakefield and the man who wrote the book "The Horse Boy". I'm VERY excited about this since I've never been to Dallas before. It is gonna be an adventure. I like those.
Well...since it's April, it's Autism Awareness month and since Faith is my daughter, that's something very important and close to my heart. It is Child Abuse Awareness and Sexual Assault Awareness month. I think neither one of those last two need to happen EVER. I've never experienced them either. My main reason for going into that field was because it hasn't ever happened to me and I firmly believe it should never happen to anyone...with the way the world is, I just wanted people to see it does happen where people are treated right in their lifetime and it could (and should) happen more and more often. At least, that's my prayer.

No comments:
Post a Comment