Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Effort is Not All in Vain

The Effort is not all in Vain 

by Amy Passmore-Brownell on Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 10:35pm
To those who went on this journey before me:

     I went to an awesome lecture/book signing this past Thursday (April 28, 2011) with Dr. Andrew Wakefield, Rupert Isaacson, and Kristen Neff.  I heard such great information, great stories and sad stories.  I'm always amazed by how many stories I hear of those around me having had such a hard time getting the services and help they need for their children.  How the "professionals" they've come up against told them "your child is Autistic, they will never live independent lives, never be able to speak, never go to college, never get married, or even have a job."
I have had a super easy time (once someone did listen to me, all it took for me was that FIRST person to listen), to get everything in place Faith needs and the family needs to help her (and themselves too, really).  No one has ever said "she will never do this-or-that".  Her Speech Path has said she makes a lot of different noises and I really think she will speak one day, we just don't know when that is. The OT has said, one really never knows what the child is capable of and you shouldn't limit them to whatever so-and-so-professional says.  The school goes above and beyond to work with us and do various things to try and make her more comfortable with the school.  So much so, that she walks into the classrooms after speech (ALL of 'em) and the teachers just say "hey Faith!" then she generally walks out of them (sometimes a lot), but they all do this to try and help her transition of beginning school be "less" traumatizing on her next year.
     So, I just gotta say a BIG "Thank you" to those parents who went on this journey before me and worked endlessly, tirelessly and selflessly to have their voices heard because I KNOW that you are the reason my journey has been so much easier to get what my child needs to help her have the most productive life she can possibly have and why I have run into professionals with hope for her and her future. Without the tireless work you have put in, this wouldn't be someone's reality.  I'm so sorry it hasn't been more people's and wasn't yours, but it IS helping and making the way easier for our children who so desperately need help, understanding, and kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment