Saturday, August 14, 2010

"Mmmmm! Pop!"

Tommy, Faith, Angelus and I went to Angelus' 1st grade open house Thursday night. We met the teacher and talked to some of Angelus' classmates parents. One of his classmates is mild-Autistic (bordering on Aspergers). His mom told us that her little boy (that Angelus plays with pretty well...I know. Angelus and visiting with others? Who knew?) didn't talk until he was 4yrs old and she was able to potty train him at 4 yrs of age. He's been in Angelus class the past couple of years and I didn't know, but after his mom said something I could "see it". Anyway, gives me (even more hope) for Faith. 

Her Speech therapist said we needed to work on bi-labial sounds such as "Mmmmm. Pop! Book!" I got her to do some of the "Mmmmm and Pop!" But couldn't ever get the Book! sound to come out. I figured this was a very good start for us. The funnier I made it look and sound the more likely she was to try it. Monday, Aug. 24 we go in for her evaluation with the Occupational Therapist. We're going to have to take her to Tahlequah for O.T. for now, but the school is hoping to get her to Oaks before all is said and done. At least there's a beginning.

Angelus' first week in at school and Friday I walk in the door his first words to me were, "I got in trouble for talking". My response; "Well, that's to be expected." If you have ever met Angelus this would not surprise anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment