Monday began the 2nd full week of school for Angelus and the first full Speech and Occupational therapy's for Faith. Angelus' old Kindergarten teacher got some toys in a grab bag at a thrift store and there were some StarWars figurines in there, so she thought of Angelus and sent them over to him in his 1st grade classroom. He was able to yell "Thank you!" and "I love the Hans Solo one!" to her this morning. See...point for a small school.
Mom and Dad got Faith to her appointments yesterday. I really figured just Mom would go, but Dad said he wanted to go to a few of them to make sure they weren't saying anything "outta line" and just to learn more about what they could possibly do to help. I had no idea, but apparently after the OT learns more about Faith she can recommend we get up to $2500.00 worth of stuff to help her (per year). She also told them "Faith's more autistic than what you folks think". [I pretty well knew that, but a Momma usually knows]
She saw the Clinical Psychologist today, it took about 2 minutes before she asked; "Has anyone told you she's Autistic?" I said, "Yes. The Ped. Developmental Specialist diagnosed her as being Autistic as well, but Social Security sent me a letter saying they didn't have enough information and to come see you." She then said if they deny you, you should appeal it because "you're gonna need it".
After the appointment was all over, I had to go buy Angelus a new backpack for school as his wasn't holding his folder. I had it in the car when we went to pick him up sitting in his chair. He LOVED it. It's got 3D dragons on the back of it, also had to get him a new Homework folder as his other one is looking awfully crumpley. His new one has sharks all over it, he loved it as well. Yea! He said "Faith can have my old Batman one 'cause she goes to school sometimes and likes it." He is correct. She plays with that thing a lot, but I kinda think it's because it's "Big Brothers". So, she will probably love using it.

Well of course Grandpa is going to make sure the lady doesn't say anything too outta' line - that's what grandpa's are for. It sounds like you had a pretty good day and you made Angelous a very happy little man with his new school gear. Pat yourself on the back mom - you deserve it.
ReplyDeleteAND also the guy...Speech therapist is a guy. Thank you Brandy!
ReplyDeleteI think it's really great that your parents are also getting involved. Especially since they are around her so much. You are very lucky to have such great parents that are there to support you. And your kids are incredibly lucky to have such an awesome mama too! I agree there are definitely some advantages to being in a small school. Sounds like they are going to have some great teachers.
ReplyDeleteI am one very lucky lady. Wonderful family. Wonderful friends. I'm SO glad I've got all of you. I know bigger schools tend to have more resources, but little schools seem to be better at "thinking outside the box". Thank you, Dawn!
ReplyDelete