Monday, August 9, 2010

A start

In an hour, I will have Faith in with the Speech therapist for her Speech Evaluation. Angelus (our oldest, but still our little boy) wants to go with us because "if Faith talks, I want to hear it" and "I can't wait until I can talk to her." At least he's very good encouragement. Maybe the Speech Therapist will be able to tell us things to work with for her and just have some ideas for us. Then off to make sure Angelus is enrolled in school since it starts in two days, and to [hopefully] meet his 1st grade teacher. I hope we like the Speech Therapist, I hope she likes him too, I hope he is able to keep her attention for whatever needs to be done.

After an hour and 20minutes or so with the Speech therapist today, we will have to wait for about a week to have the IEP completely taken care of. Faith seemed to like him okay, I guess. He showed her a lot of pictures to try to get her to respond to them, but of course, she didn't look at them let alone name any of them. He is going to try to see her about 30min. a week to begin with which I think is great because he is going to try to work up to an hour a week, but there's no way he could keep her attention for an hour right now. Thirty minutes may be doable.


I got home and checked the mail to find a letter from Social Security, saying they need a 2nd opinion on her basically and gave a time and place where to go. Aug. 24, 2010 @ 10:00 a.m. I think for me the "scariest thing" would be if they came up with a different diagnosis because it would confuse me so much and so far every single person I've seen has been on the same page as us (Tommy and me). I don't want her to have Autism, but I couldn't imagine what else it could be...it's the only thing that links up with her behaviors or lack of behaviors. I remember being really stressed about the first Pediatric Developmental Specialist I took her to, then the hearing test, the multi-disciplinary team evaluation. Every one of them make me nervous, just because I'm not certain if they're really going to listen to me and my concerns (which hasn't been the case since I finally got someone to listen), or see what I've been seeing. If they come up with something different, will I need to take her to a 3rd person just so I can get two peoples to match up?

No comments:

Post a Comment